Mission, Vision & Goals
It is the mission of the Samuel M. Melton Religious School to develop responsible and knowledgeable people with positive Jewish identities who actively participate in Jewish life in the community, synagogue and at home.
Committed to excellence in Conservative Judaic study, ritual, and responsibility, the Samuel M. Melton Religious School incorporates traditional and innovative educational experiences reaching beyond the classroom to involve the entire family.
From generation to generation the Jewish people have taught their children to cherish the knowledge and faith of their unique heritage and to strive to live in accordance with Jewish values based on love of God, Torah, and Israel.
The Samuel M. Melton Religious School seeks to achieve excellence in Conservative Judaic education by creating an environment which will inspire students and nurture their desire to engage in life-long Jewish learning and practice.
The Samuel M. Melton Religious School Curriculum will:
• Enable students to make decisions in their ethical life informed by Jewish values.
• Develop the necessary skills and desire to practice the mitzvot and traditions of Jewish life.
• Provide students with a meaningful understanding and a deep appreciation of the Tanach as the central and most sacred text of the Jewish people.
• Enable the child to acquire a basic knowledge of Hebrew that can be used to read and understand the prayers of our liturgy, read and write Hebrew sentences and participate in simple Hebrew dialogues.
• Develop the knowledge and skills to actively participate in Shabbat, holiday and weekday services.
• Broaden and deepen intellectual and spiritual life through familiarity with Jewish culture and our past.
• Help students develop a positive identification with the local Jewish community, Eretz Yisrael and all Jews throughout the world.
• Empower families to make Jewish practice a regular and meaningful part of their daily lives.
• Motivate interest in Jewish study which continues beyond the school and throughout one’s lifetime.